Kansas City Personal Training

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

KalorieBox Review

 
 
First off I just have to confess that I didn't last very long as a pescatarian.  Since my husband can't eat fish it was really hard for us to have a meal together.  The good news is that I have significantly reduced my consumption of red meat.  I'm probably down to eating it once or twice a week at most.   I'm eating a lot more fish and poultry.  Now that I have that out of the way, on with the review.  
 
One of the perks of blogging is that occasionally people may offer you free products to review.  I officially received my first freebie.  The company KalorieBox offers a service where they ship you delicious low-calorie snacks to sample on a monthly basis.  They ship everywhere in the United States and Canada.  They sent me a box of snacks, and they were delicious.  The box they sent me contained a bottle of Hint water, Plentils crunchy lentil chips, 2 packages of Fit Frappe, 2 packages of Simply Snackin' Jerky, and a bottle of Stubb's Original Bar-B-Q Sauce.   
 
 
 
The Hint water is a refreshing, zero-calorie water that just has a hint of flavor.  The bottle they sent me was pomegranate-tangerine.  It's all natural with no sugar or artificial sweeteners.  Hint is a great alternative to soda or artificially sweetened beverages.  
 
 
 
When I first tried the Plentils I felt like they were just okay. However, I kept finding myself reaching back in the bag for more chips.  They totally grew on me, and I would definitely get them again.  Plentils are crunchy lentil chips that are gluten-free and free of the 8 common allergens (wheat, soy, tree nuts, egg, peanuts, shellfish, fish, and dairy).  They contain no artificial ingredients, no saturated fat, and no trans fat.  One package is only 100 calories.  
 



I'm probably the most excited about the Fit Frappe.  KalorieBox sent me two different flavors, Vanilla Latte and Mocha.  It comes in a powder form and you mix it with water.  A 16 oz. serving contains 20 g of protein and is only 130 calories.  It's gluten-free and full of vitamins and minerals.  It contains less than 1 g of sugar.  It also contains 5 g of fiber.  The Vanilla Latte didn't really taste like coffee so I added some instant espresso powder to it, and then it was quite good.  The Mocha was amazing.  It tasted just as good as an iced mocha from Starbucks.  I definitely recommend it.  I'm going to have to get more.
 
 

The Simply Snackin' jerky that came in my KalorieBox was 60 calories per serving.  I tried Teriyaki Dried Chicken Breast with Mangoes and Papaya and Teriyaki Dried Beef Sirloin with Pineapples.  I must tell you that I am not a big jerky fan.  However, this jerky was different.  It wasn't as tough as other jerky brands tend to be.  Also, it was almost kind of juicy for jerky if that makes any sense.
 
 

The second best item in the box was the Stubb's Original Bar-B-Q Sauce.  I live in Kansas City, and around here we take barbecue pretty seriously.  Stubb's is a Texas barbecue sauce, and Texans are serious about barbecue too.  This barbecue sauce was delicious!  The sauce is tangy, peppery, and has just the right amount of vinegar.  The best part is that it's only 30 calories for 2 tablespoons.  It would be great on pulled pork or leftover turkey..

I'd like to thank Michael from KalorieBox for asking me to review their service and for introducing me to these delicious low-calorie snacks.  I think the service is well worth the price.  I hadn't tried any of these products before, and I probably never would have heard of them if it wasn't for KalorieBox.
 
If you are interested in the service you can subscribe to one of 3 plans (monthly, 3 months, and 6 months). Plans start at $17/month for the 6 months, $21 for 3 months, and $25 for monthly. Once subscribed, they ship out your box on the 15th of each month. Each month, the box will contain a different set of low calorie options for you to try. And, for each box they send out, they donate a meal to a child in need. How nice is that!  For more information you can check out the How it Works page on their website (https://kaloriebox.com/HowitWorks) and FAQ Page (https://kaloriebox.com/FAQ). 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share